Cleaning a headstone can be a sensitive task, as it is a symbol of respect and honor for a loved one who has passed away. However, over time, headstones can become dirty and discolored due to natural weather conditions, and it is important to properly clean and maintain them to keep them looking their best.
To clean a headstone or memorial you’ll need:
- Soft Brush and Cloth
- Mild Detergent / Cleaner
Here is a detailed step-by-step guide on how to clean a headstone without the risk of damaging:
1. Gather Your Supplies
You will need a soft bristle brush, a bucket, mild detergent, distilled water, and a soft cloth. Avoid using abrasive cleaners or brushes, as they can damage the surface and inscription paint of the headstone.
2. Clean The Easy Bits First
To start the headstone cleaning process, it is important to remove any loose dirt or debris from the surface. This can be easily done with a soft bristle brush, gently sweeping away any dirt or debris that has accumulated on the headstone.
3. Begin Cleaning The Headstone
- Fill a bucket with warm water and add a small amount of mild detergent. Mix the solution together.
- Dip the soft cloth into the cleaning solution and gently scrub the headstone, starting at the top and working your way down. Be sure to pay extra attention to any areas that are particularly dirty or discolored.
- Rinse the headstone with clean water to remove any remaining dirt and soap suds. Distilled water is preferred because it does not contain minerals that can leave spots on the headstone.
- Dry the headstone with a soft cloth to prevent water spots.
- If the headstone is especially dirty or has stubborn stains, you may need to use a stronger cleaning solution. In this case, mix equal parts water and household bleach and apply it to the headstone with a soft cloth. Be sure to rinse the headstone thoroughly with distilled water to remove any bleach residue and avoid the inscription.
It is important to be gentle when cleaning a headstone, as the materials it is made of may be fragile. Regular cleaning and maintenance can help keep a headstone looking its best and pay tribute to a loved one for years to come.